Who is the course for?
This course combines two certificates together providing the opportunity to acquire the theoretical knowledge and skills to pursue a career in horticulture or simply to extend existing knowledge. The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) is one of the world’s leading gardening organisations and has a long history of offering prestigious internationally recognised horticultural qualifications. Academically this course is set at Level 2 and provides an ideal progression for further study to the RHS Level 3 courses or for those wishing to broaden their existing knowledge.
What does the course involve?
The Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation consists of the following four units:
- Plant classification and function (5 credits)
- Maintaining plant health (3 credits
- Plant nutrition and the root environment (3 credits)
- Understanding plant propagation (3 credits).
The Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting consists of the following four units:
- Understanding garden features, plant selection and planning (5 credits)
- Understanding the choice, establishment & maintenance of garden plants and lawns (3 credits)
- Understanding the production of outdoor fruit and vegetables (3 credits)
- Understanding protected environments and their use in plant cultivation (3 credits).
There are no specific entry requirements but a willingness to learn together with a good command of written English is essential.
What are the assessment methods?
What are the progression options?
There are three options open to students who successfully achieve this course. After further study of the RHS Certificate in Practical Horticulture, students can achieve an RHS Diploma in Principles and Practice of Horticulture; or students can go on to study the RHS Level 3 Certificate and Diploma qualifications.
The RHS Level 2 Certificates can be used by mature students as entry for higher education to study both horticulture and garden/landscape design at Foundation and degree level qualifications.