Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater Centre
- Taunton Centre
Who is the course for?
The course is designed to provide a good knowledge of basic hairdressing. It is for those who have a genuine interest in hairdressing. It is for those who are dedicated and committed to joining a full-time course, with the ambition to succeed in this exciting industry.
What does the course involve?
This course covers all aspects of basic hairdressing. Learners will gain experience working in a realistic environment created within the College salon and will provide services to members of the public and other paying clients.
Hairdressing skills included:
- Health and safety within the salon
- Client consultation
- Working in the hairdressing industry
- Shampoo and conditioning hair
- Cut women's hair
- Change hair colour using basic technique
- Perm and neutralise hair using basic techniques
- Promote products and additional services to clients
- The art of dressing hair
- Display stock to promote sales in the salon
- Reception duties
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
What makes this course special?
- Gain valuable experience in our fully equipped salons
- We demonstrate a range of teaching methods
- Opportunities to enter national competitions
- Professional specialist teachers
- Exhibitions and educational visits are built into the programme
Work placements are a fantastic opportunity to gain external experience of industry. A weeks work experience is an expectation of the programme requirements. You will also benefit from our salon environment, providing a realistic working environment for our learners to work in and to progress ready for industry.
- At least four GCSEs in the A* – E or 9 - 3 range, to include maths and English, or an appropriate Level 1 or 2 qualification
- Adults: A keen interest in the subject of hairdressing. After applying for a place candidates will be asked to attend an interview in order to assess suitability for this course
What are the assessment methods?
- Practical observation
- Oral questions
- Online tests
How long is the course?
Are there any additional costs for the course?
In addition to tuition fees there will be a cost of £215 for hairdressing kit which also includes the relevant text book and two shirts. There will be the opportunity for extra-curricular activities which will be discussed at interview.
What are the progression options?
- Progress to Level 3 Hairdressing
- Employment in a range of environments including hair salons
- Progress onto a Level 3 Media Make-up course
- Level 3 Barbering
- Working in industry
- Cruise ships