Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater Centre
- Taunton Centre
Who is the course for?
The course is designed to provide a good knowledge of basic gents' hairdressing. It is for those who have a genuine interest in barbering. It is also for those who are dedicated and committed to joining a full-time course, with the ambition to succeed in this exciting industry.
What does the course involve?
This course covers all aspects of basic gent’s hairdressing. Learners will gain experience working in a realistic environment created within the College's barber shop and will provide services to members of the public and other paying clients.
Barbering skills included:
- Health and safety within the barber shop
- Advise and consult with client
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Cut hair using barbering techniques
- Cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- Dry and finish men’s hair
- Change men’s hair colour
- Give clients a positive impression
What makes this course special?
- Learners will gain valuable experience in our modern, fully-equipped salons
- We demonstrate a range of teaching methods
- The opportunities to enter competitions
- Professional, specialist teachers
- Exhibitions and educations visit are built into the programme
- The Shave Doctor
- The Bluebeards Revenge
Work placements are a fantastic opportunity to gain external experience of industry. A weeks work experience is an expectation of the programme requirements. You will also benefit from our salon environment, providing a realistic working environment for our learners to work in and to progress ready for industry.
- At least four GCSEs in the A* – E or 9 - 3 range, to include English and Maths
- Adults: A keen interest in the subject of barbering. After applying for a place candidates will be asked to attend an interview in order to assess their suitability for the course
What are the assessment methods?
Assessment of practical skills in undertaken in the College salon through practical observation. The theoretical units will be assessed by internally by means of oral questions, online tests and assignments which cater for a variety of learning styles.
How long is the course?
Are there any additional costs for the course?
In addition to tuition fees there will be a cost of approximately £255 for barbering kit and £75 for compulsory trips. There will be the opportunity for extra-curricular activities which will be discussed at interview.
What are the progression options?
- Progress to NVQ Level 3 Barbering
- Employment in a range of environments including hair salons
- Progress on to Level 3 Hairdressing
- Working in a barber shop (employed/self employed)
- Cruise ships
City & Guilds