Who is the course for?
This Level 2 course is designed to be suitable for people who volunteer or work with teachers in classrooms supporting the learning process in primary, special and secondary schools, including those in a general support role and those with specific responsibilities for a pupil subject area or age group.
You might be a teaching assistant, classroom assistant, learning support assistant or special needs assistant. It is assessed in a work situation and combines knowledge and practical skills. It is a flexible programme. Allow up to 12 months to complete.
What does the course involve?
This course comprises a number of mandatory units, with optional units added on as appropriate to your role, in order to achieve the total number of unit credits for the qualification. Examples of areas you will study include:
- How to promote positive behaviour
- How to establish and maintain relationships with pupils and colleagues
- How to support pupils during learning activities
- Personal development
What makes this course special?
It gives you the opportunity to meet and share with others working in a school environment and compare and discuss current practice. This course offers you the opportunity to demonstrate competent performance of tasks related to your work and to develop your own skills and potential.
You are expected to find your own voluntary placement of at least four hours a week in a school prior to interview. The placement will need to last the duration of the course.
- An interview is required for this course
- Mature students welcome to apply
What are the assessment methods?
There are no written exams for this course. Instead you will build a portfolio which will include coursework and practical assessments in your placement school.
How long is the course?
You can start this course at any time. Expect to complete within 12 months.
What are the College attendance requirements?
- You will spend two hours a week in college
- Self-study hours will be up to four a week.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
You might like to buy a textbook to help you with this qualification, which can be bought from the LRC.
What are the progression options?
- On completion of this course you could apply to do the Level 3 Certificate or Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- This qualification can help you to find paid employment as a teaching assistant
Former learners have found paid employment in schools and progressed to the Level 3 course.