Where is the course delivered?
This is a Distance Learning course, so there is no need to attend College.
This course will be delivered online or paper-based over 16 - 20 weeks. Guided learning hours: 126.
Who is the course for?
This qualification aims to increase understanding of the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health, increase confidence in planning and achieving a healthy diet, provide an understanding of how an individual’s dietary requirements change throughout their life, provide an understanding of food labelling and the availability to use information from food labels, provide information on eating disorders and increase understanding of the role of a healthy diet for weight management.
What does the course involve?
As part of this course you will study six mandatory units:
UNIT 1 - Explore principles of healthy eating
- Section 1 Understand how diet is linked to health
- Section 2 Understand the components of a healthy diet
- Section 3 Know the nutrients in food and their role in maintaining health
- Section 4 Understand the principles of healthy preparation
UNIT 2 - Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals
- Section 1 Know the nutritional needs of children and young people
- Section 2 Know the nutritional needs of older people
- Section 3 Understand special dietary requirements
- Section 4 Understand barriers to healthy eating
UNIT 3 - Planning a healthy diet
- Section 1 Understand food labelling
- Section 2 Understand food additives
- Section 3 Apply principles of healthy eating
UNIT 4 - The principles of weight management
- Section 1 Know the risks associated with ineffective weight management
- Section 2 Understand how body image may influence weight management
- Section 3 Know about effective methods of weight management
- Section 4 Be able to plan a short-term weight management programme for an individual
UNIT 5 - Understanding eating disorders
- Section 1 Understand the term ‘eating disorder’
- Section 2 Understanding the causes of eating disorders
- Section 3 Understand how an eating disorder may affect the individual and others
- Section 4 Understand how a specific eating disorder may be managed
UNIT 6 - Principles of food safety for the home environment
- Section 1 Know the importance of handling food safely
- Section 2 Know the importance of personal hygiene when handling food
- Section 3 Know how to store food safely
- Section 4 Know how food storage can affect the nutritional value of food
- Section 5 Know how to keep the food work area clean
- Section 6 Know how to check food is cooked to the correct temperature
- Section 7 Know how to dispose of food waste safely
- Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at 31/08/16
- Must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- Must currently reside in England
- Must have a full Level 2 qualification or above (i.e QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2)
- Unemployed and claiming benefits, and using the qualification to obtain work.
*An administration fee will be incurred if you withdraw from the course.
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are due at the end of each unit. Your tutor will assess your work and build up your portfolio of evidence of learning. A certificate will be awarded on satisfactory submission of evidence of learning for all units.
What are the College attendance requirements?
As a Distance Learning course, there is no need to attend College.For further information or advice, please contact the Distance Learning team:
01823 366612 firstname.lastname@example.org