Who is the course for?
This is a free course for adults who need to brush up on their English skills for work, further study, helping children with homework or simply to increase confidence.
What does the course involve?
- Spelling of everyday words
- Understanding different types of writing
- Filling in forms, CVs and application letters
- How to write for a purpose
- How to check work for errors
- To speak confidently with others
- To develop personally and professionally
What makes this course special?
- Excellent teaching and support from outstanding staff
- A variety of exciting resources to use
- Classes are available during the day and in the evening
- Enrolment can be at various times throughout the year
- The pass rates are excellent, above national average
- Achievement can open new opportunities
- The course is offered at three different levels so there is something for everybody
- Learners will be supported to achieve more than they thought they could
- Feedback from current students tell us the atmosphere in the classroom is friendly and helpful and a completely different experience from any previous learning at school
There are no formal qualifications required for entry; candidates will undergo an initial assessment, to determine which level of the course is the right level.
What are the assessment methods?
When learners are ready they will sit an exam at the appropriate level.
How long is the course?
The course runs for a year, but learners can sit the exam as soon as they feel ready.
What are the College attendance requirements?
- The lessons are for two hours a week, either during the day or early evening
- The lessons are at Bath Road
- In addition, self-study hours are highly recommended to reinforce learning
Are there any additional costs for the course?
The course is FREE for all adults.
What are the progression options?
On completion of the course at Level 2, learners can progress to either:
- GCSE English
- Access to Higher Education
- A selection of vocational courses
- Level 2 is worth 10 UCAS points