Who is the course for?
This course is the foundation for our programme of counselling courses and is aimed at people who are new to and curious about, counselling and counselling training. It is relevant to people who are interested in enhancing their people and communication skills within an area of work such as teaching, youth work, healthcare, social care, guidance etc. The course helps promote personal development for all participants.
What does the course involve?
Working within a group setting, learners will experience some of the principles of counselling and the qualities of the counselling relationship, and have an opportunity to try out some foundation counselling skills.
Counselling and counselling training varies considerably according to different approaches and different levels of training.
This course covers:
- An exploration of what counselling is and is not
- The ethical basis of the counselling process
- An introduction to the three main approaches to counselling
- The importance of the counselling relationship
- Listening and attending - importance of non-verbal communication
- Different questioning styles and their effect
- Reflecting, summarising and moving on skills
- Practical exercises and discussion of key concepts
- Referrals and endings
- An opportunity to consider whether you'd like to go on to further counselling training
What makes this course special?
The sessions involve lots of discussion and learning by doing, and the atmosphere is friendly. The tutor is a practicing counsellor and is used to working with groups.
The course is open to anyone and no interview is required. All learners need is a willingness to participate in discussion and work in small groups; however, for those who have just experienced major change in their life or close bereavement please speak to one of the tutors directly before joining the course.
What are the assessment methods?
A weekly written record of personal experience of the course as evidence of learning. Learners will also have the opportunity to review their own skills and qualities.
What are the progression options?
On successful completion of this course learners may apply to the AQA Level 2 Intermediate Certificate in Counselling Skills.