Who is the course for?
This course is offered to individuals already working or wishing to work in the fitness industry, who would like to study through work-based learning.
The course places great emphasis on practical ability backed up with an understanding of the principles involved. The Advanced Apprenticeship offers high quality training, to meet fitness industry standards. The qualifications are designed by the industry for employers and this ensures that the training received will equip students with the required skills.
What does the course involve?
Whilst at work, students will receive comprehensive practical training designed to develop competence in carrying out relevant tasks that the employer will value.
The course is divided three sections:
- YMCA Level 3 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training
Course content will be tailored to the needs of the individual and could include;
- Principles of exercise
- Fitness and health
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with clients
- Motivate clients to maintain long term adherence to exercise and physical activity
- Deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a personal training programme
- Evaluate exercise and physical activity programmes
What makes this course special?
- Opportunity to earn while you learn
- Excellent sports facilities and resources
- Superb computer facilities
- Training Officer/Assessor support and guidance
- Modern learning resources centre
- Experience of delivery
- GCSEs in the A*– C or 9 - 4 range
- Initial assessment
What are the assessment methods?
- Multiple choice exams
- Practical assessments
- Portfolio of evidence
Students will be visited regularly by a qualified assessor to check on progression and to ensure that they are building evidence towards their final qualification.
How long is the course?
Up to 24 months, although students can fast track if they have met the performance criteria earlier.
What are the College attendance requirements?
Students may visit the College one day per week to work towards gaining detailed underpinning knowledge of the chosen subject area.
What are the progression options?
Successful completion of the course could lead to employment opportunities as a qualified Personal Trainer & responsible positions in allied industries. Students can progress to study a Foundation Degree at Level 4 and 5 within Sports Coaching, Health, Fitness & Exercise, Sports Development, Sports Science and Leisure Management.