Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater Centre
Who is the course for?
This is a part-time course for those employed in the plumbing industry wishing to gain the recognised trade qualification.
Apprenticeships are ways for you to get the skills you need for a successful career. They provide the opportunity to get the qualifications and experience you will need for the jobs of the future.
What does the course involve?
The College will assist you to find employment with a local employer. You will receive comprehensive training at work and attend College on a day-release basis. This will give you the opportunity to do real work, developing work-based skills that employers value, helping you progress in your chosen career. You will have an appointed assessor who will visit you in your workplace and assess how you are progressing. Some of these visits will provide you with evidence that you can use towards your qualification. You will come into College 1 day a week to work on your qualifications, 2 days if you need to complete Functional Skills.
You will also be provided with a training officer who will oversee your training at work and at College. Your training officer will visit you at least once every three months to review your progress and help you with any problems you might have.
Course content will include:
- Install and test systems
- Commission-decommission systems
- Maintain systems
- Hot and cold water services
- Domestic central heating systems
- Above and below ground drainage
What makes this course special?
As a Bridgwater College apprentice, you will have access to the full range of support and facilities available to full time students—this includes:
- Excellent IT facilities; one of the most sophisticated RM computer networks in the country
- Modern buildings, high tech equipment and facilities
- A lively and stimulating environment in which to make new friends to help you through your first years at work
- Access to a large, modern learning resources centre
- Tutorial support and guidance as well as individual support from your training officer
- Access to a wide variety of extra curricular activities
- Steel toe cap footwear
- Standard stationery and folders
- Employment within the industry (Bridgwater College may be able to assist with this)
For the apprenticeship you will need GCSE grades in the A* – C or 9 - 4 range in Maths and English and be subject to an initial assessment.
What are the assessment methods?
Apprenticeships are built around National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs). Employers like NVQs as they show that you can do a job to the high standards they require. With Bridgwater College, you will work towards NVQ level 2 and Technical Certificate qualifications. You are assessed on your knowledge and skills on an ongoing basis and will obtain evidence that you can meet the required standards throughout your training. Your progress will be regularly assessed both at College and at work.
How long is the course?
Two years for the Apprenticeship.