Who is the course for?
For those looking for a junior supervisory level position in the food manufacturing industry, an Apprenticeship is a hands-on work-based route. The course can be tailored to ensure that many disciplines within the sector are covered such as production, technical, quality or product development.
The food industry is diverse and roles range from agronomy and food production through buying, product development, marketing and commercial sales. There are many associated roles such as financial, human resources, laboratory based, nutrition and health or sensory analysis.
What does the course involve?
Core modules include:
- Product quality
- Food safety
- Maintaining safety standards in production
Optional units could include:
- Raw materials
- Weighing and mixing
- Continuous improvement
- Product development
What makes this course special?
- Students gain live and relevant experience in a workplace whilst being paid
- Students have the opportunity to complete Level 2 Food Hygiene and HACCP qualifications if required
- Initial assessment
- GCSE grades of A* – C or 9 - 4 in English, Science and Mathematics
- Industry experience is welcomed but not essential
- Mature students and current company employees are welcome to apply (if employees have an interest in an Apprenticeship, please discuss this with the employer and ask them to contact Business Development directly on 01278 655111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
What are the assessment methods?
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Employer feedback
Assessments will normally be in the workplace however any topics studied at College will be assessed in a classroom environment.
How long is the course?
18 months – 24 months.
What are the College attendance requirements?
- Unless there is a block study period there will not be time in College. However all facilities are available to learners
- Self-study hours approximately six per week
- Work hours – most Apprenticeships are a maximum of 40 hours per week with study time included in this
What are the progression options?
- Level 4 Foundation Degree at the College with the possibility for application to top-up to an honours degree with Cardiff Metropolitan University or the Royal Agricultural University
- Supervisory role within a business