Who is the course for?
This Foundation Degree course aims to develop the skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified engineer in the Motorsport Industry. You will be prepared for employment in the industry through taught sessions, visits from professionals and a range of work placement opportunities. The course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to become a valued employee within either the automotive or motorsports industry.
Awarding body: Oxford Brookes University
What will I study on the course?
Various modules must be studied over the two year course, examples of which include:
- Motorsport Fluid Dynamics
- Composites and Materials Technology
- CAD CAM and Data Acquisition & Analysis
- Engine Technology
- Engineering Science
- Computer Aided Engineering
- Vehicle Dynamics & Performance Engineering
- Vehicle Electronics and Microprocessors
- Work Based Placement (30 day placement)
- Work Based Project
- Maths I & Maths II.
What makes this course special?
Studying at Bridgwater College will give you access to:
- Links with many motorsport companies
- Full rolling road facilities
- Specialist sessions from people at the top of the manufacturer and motorsport career ladder
- Advanced chassis set-up equipment
- Cylinder head flow analysis equipment
- The experience of being part of a race team — read more at Bridgwater College Racing Team
Support for students studying Motorsport Engineering
Although this course is not taught at Oxford Brookes, you will have access to all the university’s facilities and support services.
Student support is essential to a successful learning experience and staff at Bridgwater College work hard to ensure that students have access to the best possible guidance and support systems. Dedicated staff across the college offer tailored support to all students, ensuring that each student reaches their full potential.
Services offered at the college include learning support, careers advice, a children's centre, counselling and mental health support, a student union and support for international students.
Typically entrants will possess:
- A minimum of one pass at A Level or 6-unit Vocational A Level (in Maths, Physics or a closely related subject), plus a minimum of three passes at GCSE (grades A - C) including Mathematics at grade B or equivalent and English Language.
- a National Certificate or Diploma or other full equivalent Level 3 qualification, in a discipline related to Engineering, including merits in the applied units, plus a minimum of three passes at GCSE (grades A - C) including Mathematics at grade B or equivalent and English Language.
How will I be assessed?Assessment will be via a variety of methods including assignments, reports, portfolio, project, presentations, drawing work and practical skills assessments.
How long is the course?
The course is run for three days per week over two years at College in combination with self directed study.
Please note: this is a two year course and additional fees will be payable in year two.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Full-time fee for 2014 entry (first year) is £6,000.
Please note there may be additional fees associated with your chosen course in relation to uniform, residentials, books etc.
On successful completion of the course, you will have the opportunity to progress on to the BSc (Hons) Motorsport Technology at Bridgwater College or you have the choice to continue your studies at a university of your choice.