Who is the course for?
This one year university level course is designed for international students who wish to gain a Higher Education qualification in Management and Leadership.
Bridgwater College has been recognised as Highly Trusted Sponsor by the UK Border Agency’s Tier 4 sponsor licensing unit. We strongly advise you to follow thoroughly the UKBA changes of regulations which may affect your rights in the UK.
Awarding Body: Edexcel
What will I study on the course?
Over the one year of the course you will study the Diploma in Management and Leadership to include 1 core unit (10 credits) and 6 specialist units (40 credits), a total of 7 units at Level 5.
The core unit is:
- Principle of management and leadership
Specialist units are:
- Financial awareness for managers
- Managing projects
- Developing successful business teams
- Management decision making
- Quality management in an organisation
- Managing budgets.
In addition the course will offer:
- An additional award: CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel Development), Level 5 in Human Resource Management. These additional units will help you to prepare for the progression to Level 7
- Study skills and personal tutorial
- A two day residential as part of the programme.
What is special about studying at Bridgwater College?
The College has a well-established international student support programme, which starts with an induction programme upon arrival to help students to acclimatise to life in the UK, and continues with the allocation of a personal tutor who will offer advice and guidance.
The College has an excellent reputation both regionally and nationally as a highly successful provider of education and training. The College:
- Is a Learning and Skills Beacon status College
- Has been designated an Outstanding College by Ofsted
- Received 11 National Beacon Awards in recent years
- Meets the Matrix Standard for information, advice and guidance services
- Has been accredited with the Training Quality Standard for provision to employers
The examination and course results consistently place the college amongst the best of all education and training providers in the South West.
Bridgwater College has been recognised as Highly Trusted Sponsor by the UK Border Agency. As a student on an international student visa you must study at least 15 hours a week in College. Your attendance on the course will be strictly monitored by the college with a weekly register. Your student visa entitles you to work some hours during the week as well as full time during your holidays. The college applies a “zero absence policy”.
We strongly advise you to follow thoroughly the UKBA changes of regulations which may affect your decision. The college will inform you of any changes but cannot be made responsible. Rules will be applied on the date of the change or per the UKBA recommendation.
What will I need for the course?
- A completed Level 3 course in any sector or the equivalent of a Level 3 in your own country
- An IELTS Level 5.5 preferably but we will accept 5 with the minimum of 4 in all skills. Part of the course has been designed to give you the opportunity to improve your IELTS grade
- Important: Work experience/placement will be useful and beneficial but not essential.
What makes this course special?
- This course has been especially designed to welcome visa nationals in accordance with the UKBA regulations
- It is a one year course at Level 5 progressing to a one year course or a two year course at Level 7
- We offer only 30 places on the course based on full fees payment made prior to enrolment
- You will have the opportunity to study English 3 hours a week at advanced level in order to gain a 7 in IELTS minimum in all skills by the end of the course
- Please note: there is no work placement required for this course
- You may take advantage of the holiday periods to extend your work experience in the sector. The college does not organise such placements. As an overseas student you will be entitled to work some hours per week.
How will I be assessed?
Learners must achieve a minimum of 40 credits to be awarded an Edexcel Level 5 Diploma. Assessment is criterion referenced against published learning outcomes and assessment criteria. All units will be individually graded as pass, merit or distinction. Assessment will be, through a written report for each unit.
How long is the course?
You will study 15 hours a week over 28 weeks between 8.30am and 6.30pm over 3 days per week. (We have various start dates during the year. Please contact the International Centre for the latest update).
You will be expected to spend additional hours undertaking assignment work and research. This can be expected to be an additional 8 hours a week.
Will this course lead to a qualification?
This course leads to the Edexcel Level 5 Management and Leadership Diploma with CIPD award and IELTS grade 7.
Can this course lead directly to a job?
In the UK students find employment with the local authorities, the public sector, management position in the private sector, middle management in small businesses, education, national agencies etc.
For employment in medium to large company you will be expected to gain at least one of the Level 7.
What can I do on completion of this course?
These qualifications provide the necessary skills and knowledge required for success in employment in a variety of sectors at management level or for progression onto the following academic year to a Level 7 Strategic Management and Leadership or Level 7 Human Resource Management for two years. Level 7 is the equivalent of Post Graduate studies. Please note that Level 7 can contribute towards an MBA.
How much will it cost?
For international students starting in September 2014, the course fees are £4,000.