Who is the course for?
These new and exciting health and fitness industry accredited courses are for students who have a desire and interest in working within the sport and leisure industry as a personal trainer. Your passion for sport will be developed along with learning how to research, design and implement tailored exercise programmes and improve the fitness levels and participation in gym-based fitness activities for a variety of clients.
The course will enable students to gain a nationally-recognised qualification within the fitness industry and allow them to progress into the work place with a sound underpinning knowledge and understanding of gym instructing and operating as a personal trainer. It is is also recognised and accredited by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS).
You should be at least 18 years old and have successfully completed the YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing.
What does the course involve?
The course will include both theory and practical elements throughout the programme, consisting of:
- Advanced anatomy and physiology
- Deliver advanced gym techniques to a range of clients
- Design, manage, and adapt a personal training programme
- Principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
What makes this course special?
- Recognised as the ‘Gold Standard’ in qualifications for the Health and Fitness industry
- Nationally recognised qualification with REPs
- Progression onto other YMCA programmes and courses
To gain entry onto the Personal Trainer course you will need to have completed the Level 2 YMCA Certificate in Fitness Instructing course
What are the assessment methods?
The course is based on continual and summative assessment methods:
- Written examination (online)
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
What are the College attendance requirements?
Various attendance is needed over 12 weeks at the College (practical kit required). The following elements will be included:
- Course introduction
- Training week
- Practical assessment
- Self-study hours to practise and revise for assessments.
What are the progression options?
- Higher education Sports Science with Sports Coaching Education Foundation Degree & BSc (Hons) at Bridgwater College
- Employment options as a personal trainer
- Straight into employment
Former students are now working in both private and local authority run sport centres, privately owned gyms and health and fitness companies, cruise ships and running own fitness and conditioning business.
Central YMCA Qualifications.