Who is the course for?
For anyone who wants to work in the dog grooming industry and work their way up. No previous qualifications required to take this qualification. Learners can progress from this course onto a Level 3 course. This course is suited to the practical learner who has genuine interest in the industry and wants a recognised qualification.
Ideal for those who want to begin working in the dog grooming industry and learn the skills needed to work under supervision in a dog grooming salon.
What does the course involve?
- Prepare and groom animals prior to bathing
- Bathing and cleaning dogs
- Clean and maintain equipment
- Controlling and restraining animals
- Dry dogs and prepare their coats for styling
- Basic trimming of a dog’s coat
- Maintain the cleanliness and biosecurity of the animal care working environment
These are taught through practical tuition and theory sessions.
What makes this course special?
- Maximum of six students in each group
- A range of days available, to suit the learner
- Fit training around the learners' current job
- Industry experienced and highly qualified staff
- Part of an outstanding organisation
- Opportunities to take part in national grooming competitions and represent the College
- Links with the Pet Industry Federation and private grooming schools
A work placement is not essential to the course but would benefit the learner by allowing them to practise the skills they have learnt and gain confidence.
- A genuine interest in dog grooming
- GCSE Math and English at Grade C (4) or above however mature students may be exempted on an individual basis
- Interview places are limited and allocated subject to interview
- Industry experience would support application but is not essential
What are the assessment methods?
- Online examination
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
All assessment take place within the Cannington Centre primarily in the Dog Grooming rooms.
What are the College attendance requirements?
One full day a week, however learners will be expected to complete written assignment work in self-study time at home in order to hand work in on time.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
- Learners may wish to purchase a starter pack of grooming equipment from the online College Shop.
- A waterproof tunic and trousers, these can be purchased via the online College Shop.
- Learners will attend competitions, the cost of these may vary.
- We will provide a list of suitable books that learners may wish to purchase.
What are the progression options?
- Progression on to Level 3
- Work in industry
- Start to plan to set up own business
City and Guilds.