Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for those who have worked in the dog grooming industry for some time or have successfully completed the Level 2 programme. Learners may have plenty of experience and want to develop their skills further, perhaps to move into a management role. This course is suited to the practical learner who wants to progress in the industry.
What does the course involve?
- Carry out styling and finishing of dogs
- Assessing and planning dog grooming work
- Promote and maintain the health and wellbeing of animals
- Health checking a dog by a dog groomer
- Welcoming, receiving and caring for visitors to sites
These are taught through practical tuition and theory sessions.
What makes this course special?
- Maximum of six students in each group
- Fit training around the learners' current job
- Industry experienced and highly trained staff
- Part of an outstanding organisation
- Opportunities to take part in national grooming competitions and represent the College
- Links with the Pet Industry Federation and private grooming schools
A work placement is not essential to the course but would benefit the learner as it provides them with the opportunity to practise their skills.
Successfully completed Level 2 Dog Grooming Certificate.
What are the assessment methods?
- Online examination
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
All assessment take place within the Cannington Centre, primarily in the Dog Grooming rooms.
How long is the course?
The course runs for 20 weeks for one day each week.
What are the College attendance requirements?
One full day a week, however learners will be expected to complete written assignment work in self-study time at home in order to hand work in on time.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Learners may wish to purchase a starter pack of grooming equipment, a waterproof tunic and trousers from the online College Shop.
Attendance at competitions, cost may vary.
We will provide a list of suitable books that learners may wish to purchase.
What are the progression options?
- Progression on to Level 3 Diploma for Professional Dog Stylists
- Work in industry
- Start own business
City and Guilds.