Where is the course delivered?
This is a Distance Learning course, so there is no need to attend College.
This could will be delivered online over 30 weeks. Guided learning hours: 153.
Who is the course for?
The Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health is designed for learners who want to develop their knowledge and understanding of mental health and mental wellbeing. The qualification will also support progression into relevant employment within the health and social care sector.
What does the course involve?
As part of this course you will study five mandatory units:
UNIT 1 – Understanding the context of mental health and wellbeing
- Section 1 - Understand the range of current legislation that applies to mental health and how it has changed over time
- Section 2 - Understand the range of attitudes and perceptions of mental ill health
- Section 3 - Understand the current pattern and range of services for mental health problems and how these have evolved
UNIT 2 – Promotion of mental health and wellbeing
- Section 1 - Understand mental health and wellbeing in the different stages of life
- Section 2 - Understand how to support mental health and wellbeing
UNIT 3 – Mental health problems: associated issued and consequences
- Section 1 - Understand how mental health problems have social consequences for the individual, their family and society as a whole
- Section 2 - Understand the use/misuse of substances and alcohol in the context of mental health problems (dual diagnosis)
- Section 3 - Understand mental health problems in the context of offending and the criminal justice system
- Section 4 - Understand suicide and the prevention of suicide
- Section 5 - Understand self harm
UNIT 4 – Understanding mental ill health
- Section 1 - Understand a range of mental health conditions
- Section 2 - Understand the treatments and interventions available for a range of mental health problems
- Section 3 - Understand care planning in mental health services
UNIT 5 – Working in mental health
- Section 1 - Know how to develop the skills, knowledge and attributes necessary for working in mental health services
- Section 2 - Understand the roles and responsibilities of a care or support worker working in mental health
- Section 3 - Understand the roles of other professionals providing mental health services
- Section 4 - Understand how to use reflection in the development of skills, knowledge and practice
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are due at the end of each unit. Your tutor will assess your work and build up your portfolio of evidence of learning. A certificate will be awarded on satisfactory submission of evidence of learning for the units studied.
What are the College attendance requirements?
As a Distance Learning course, there is no need to attend College.
For further information or advice, please contact the Distance Learning team:
01823 366612 firstname.lastname@example.org
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Enrol on the Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health course with no upfront costs if you are aged 19 or above, with a government funded Advanced Learner Loan. Your course fees can be fully funded, with no dependency on household income and no repayments until you are earning over £21,000 a year.
The cost of this course is £811. Find out more about the Advanced Learner Loan.