Where is the course delivered?
This is a Distance Learning course, so there is no need to attend College.
This course will be delivered online or paper-based over 16 - 20 weeks. Guided learning hours 117-134.
Who is the course for?
This qualification will give learners a basic understanding of childcare, education and parenting.
What does the course involve?
As part of this course you will study seven mandatory units:
UNIT 1 - Young Children’s Development
- Section 1 Understand the stages of development of young children from birth to three years
- Section 2 Understand how positive environments support the development of young children
- Section 3 Understand how to support young children’s development by providing for their basic needs
UNIT 2 - Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Section 1 Know about the legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures for safeguarding the welfare of children and young people including e-safety
- Section 2 Know what to do when children or young people are ill or injured, including emergency procedures
- Section 3 Know how to respond to evidence or concerns that a child or young person has been abused, harmed or bullied
UNIT 3 - Respecting and valuing children
- Section 1 Know how to respect and value children as individuals
- Section 2 Understand ways to respect and value children
- Section 3 Know that children have rights
UNIT 4 - Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet
- Section 1 Understand food labelling
- Section 2 Understand food additives
- Section 3 Be able to apply principles of healthy eating
UNIT 5 - Importance of play for early learning
- Section 1 Understand the importance of creativity and imagination for the development of a child
- Section 2 Understand the role and importance of games with rules in the development of a child
- Section 3 Know how to organise a cooking activity for children
- Section 4 Understand the role of creative activities in enhancing children’s learning and development
- Section 5 Understand the importance of books and stories in relation to children’s learning and development
- Section 6 Understand the importance of talking and listening activities in relation to children’s learning and development
UNIT 6 - The value of play to young children
- Section 1 Understand the value of play to young children’s development
- Section 2 Know different play activities for young children from birth to 5 years 11 months
- Section 3 Understand the role of the adult in providing play for young children
UNIT 7 - Sharing learning experiences with children
- Section 1 Know how children learn
- Section 2 Know how to use stories and rhymes with young children
- Section 3 Understand that the natural world can support children’s learning
- Section 4 Know how the local community can be used to broaden children’s experiences
- Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at 31/08/16
- Must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- Must currently reside in England
- Must have a full Level 2 qualification or above (i.e QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2)
- Unemployed and claiming benefits, and using the qualification to obtain work.
*An administration fee will be incurred if you withdraw from the course.
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are due at the end of each unit. Your tutor will assess your work and build up your portfolio of evidence of learning. A certificate will be awarded on satisfactory submission of evidence of learning for the units studied.
What are the College attendance requirements?
As a Distance Learning course, there is no need to attend College.
For further information or advice, please contact the Distance Learning team:
01823 366612 email@example.com