Where is the course delivered?
This is a Distance Learning course, so there is no need to attend College.
This course will be delivered online or paper-based over 16 - 20 weeks. Guided learning hours: 105.
Who is the course for?
This qualification will provide an understanding of the different types of diabetes and how they can occur, develop awareness of how the onset of Type 2 diabetes can be delayed with lifestyle changes. Develop an understanding of diabetes diagnosis and initial care. Understand the on-going care and treatment of diabetes to control blood sugar levels.
What does the course involve?
As part of this course you will study four mandatory units:
UNIT 1 - Understand diabetes
- Section 1 Understand the function of glucose in the blood
- Section 2 Understand the function of insulin in the blood
- Section 3 Understand the different forms and causes of diabetes
- Section 4 Know the risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes
- Section 5 Understand how diabetes is confirmed
UNIT 2 - Prevention and early intervention of type 2 diabetes
- Section 1 Understand factors relating to the prevention of type 2 diabetes
- Section 2 Understand how diet, exercise and lifestyle affect type 2 diabetes
UNIT 3 - Understanding the initial care of diabetes
- Section 1 Understand the social impact of diabetes
- Section 2 Understand how to work with individuals to manage diabetes
- Section 3 Know how diabetes is monitored
UNIT 4 - Understanding the treatment and management of diabetes
- Section 1 Understand how diabetes is treated
- Section 2 Know the treatment for hypoglycaemia
- Section 3 Know the treatment for hyperglycaemia
- Section 4 Understand the complications resulting from diabetes
- Section 5 Understand ways to prevent or detecting complications associated with diabetes dispose of waste and return equipment and items
- Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at 31/08/16
- Must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- Must currently reside in England
- Must have a full Level 2 qualification or above (i.e QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2)
- Unemployed and claiming benefits, and using the qualification to obtain work.
*An administration fee will be incurred if you withdraw from the course.
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are due at the end of each unit. Your tutor will assess your work and build up your portfolio of evidence of learning. A certificate will be awarded on satisfactory submission of evidence of learning for the units studied.
What are the College attendance requirements?
As a Distance Learning course, there is no need to attend College.
For further information or advice, please contact the Distance Learning team:
01823 366612 email@example.com