Where is the course delivered?
This is a Distance Learning course, so there is no need to attend College.
This course will be delivered online or paper-based over 16 - 20 weeks. Guided learning hours: 184.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who wishes to develop their knowledge and understanding of dementia care. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication and engaging in activities.
What does the course involve?
The certificate aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as issues around the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
The qualification can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
As part of the course you will study seven mandatory units:
Unit 1 - Dementia awareness
- Section 1 Understand what dementia is
- Section 2 Understand key features of the theoretical models of dementia
- Section 3 Know the most common types of dementia and their causes
- Section 4 Understand factors relating to an individual’s experience of dementia
Unit 2 - The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Section 1 Understand approaches that enable individuals with dementia to experience well-being
- Section 2 Understand the role of carers in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Section 3 Understand the roles of others in the support of individuals with dementia
Unit 3 - Understanding the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Section 1 Understandthefactorsthatcaninfluencecommunication with individuals who have dementia
- Section 2 Understand how a person-centred approach may be used to encourage positive communication with individuals with dementia
- Section 3 Understand the factors which can affect interactions with individuals with dementia
Unit 4 - Understanding equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Section 1 Understand the importance of diversity of individuals with dementia
- Section 2 Understand the importance of person-centred approaches in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Section 3 Understand ways of working with a range of individuals who have dementia to ensure diverse needs are met
Unit 5 - Understanding the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Section 1 Understand the common medications available to and appropriate for, individuals with dementia
- Section 2 Understand how to provide person-centred care toindividuals with dementia through the appropriate and effective use of medication
Unit 6 - Understanding behaviour in the context of dementia
- Section 1 Understand that behaviour is often used as a means of communication
- Section 2 Understand howtorespond to behavioursassociated with dementia
- Section 3 Understand why some people with dementia will need additional emotional support
Unit 7 - Understanding the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
- Section 1 Understand the impact of activity on physical and mental well-being
- Section 2 Understand the social benefits of activities
- Section 3 Understand how activity can be the basis for a model of care and support
- Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at 31/08/16
- Must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- Must currently reside in England
- Must have a full Level 2 qualification or above (i.e QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2)
- Unemployed and claiming benefits, and using the qualification to obtain work.
*An administration fee will be incurred if you withdraw from the course.
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are due at the end of each unit. Your tutor will assess your work and build up your portfolio of evidence of learning. A certificate will be awarded on satisfactory submission of evidence of learning for the units studied.
What are the College attendance requirements?
As a Distance Learning course, there is no need to attend College.For further information or advice, please contact the Distance Learning team:
01823 366612 email@example.com