Who is the course for?
The qualification is designed to enable contemporary dance students to display and evidence their contemporary dance performance skills and knowledge through a series of performance-based assessment tasks. The qualification encourages candidates to be multi-skilled, reflective performers showing professional potential; their performance standard will be comparable to other qualifications available at Level 4 in the qualifications and credit framework or the first year of degree level study.
What does the course involve?
- Semester 1 – advanced technique, choreography, repertory, tutorial
- Semester 2 – advanced technique, choreography, tour, tutorial
- Semester 3 – assessment preparation
- The summative assessment focuses on performance of four practical pieces, one viva voce and a lecture demonstration
What makes this course special?
- The qualification has been devised by Trinity College London in consultation with Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance: one of the world's leading providers of contemporary dance education and training
- In the second part of the course students will become part of a working dance company
- Brand new theatre facilities
- Three fully sprung dance studios with air conditioning and water facilities
- Use of College facilities (Library, Student Union, College Support)
- Workshops with leading UK Dance professionals
- Fully qualified staff who have/are working in the industry
- Level 3 BTEC or A Level in Dance/Performing Arts or equivalent
- Relevant industry experience (where applicable)
- Successful audition and interview
- Mature students are welcome to apply
What are the assessment methods?
- Practical assessment
- Lecture demonstration
- Viva voce
Summative assessment will take place in June.
How long is the course?
One year, two days a week.
What are the College attendance requirements?
The course will run over two days a week (days to be confirmed) and you will also be expected to take part in independent workshop time.
What are the progression options?
- This course can lead onto a HE programme
- Can lead directly to employment within the dance industry
- Can continue onto our Level 6 Diploma in Dance Teaching and Learning