Who is the course for?
Please note this course is for those over the age of 19 only.
For people interested in working in post 16 education and training such as colleges, private training providers or training within their own workplace. This course is for you if:
- You work with students in a classroom or workshop but do not have a teaching qualification
- You are involved in any activity with learners where you are teaching them or helping them acquire skills or knowledge
- You wish to deliver and/or assess on a course where a Level 3 teaching qualification is required
- You are not involved in any of these activities but are considering them for the future
- You do not live near College or attending regularly does not fit your circumstances.
What does the course involve?
You will learn the fundamentals of effective teaching, learning and assessment. This includes:
- Roles, responsibilities and demands of a teacher
- Establishing and meeting your learners’ needs, including consideration of the main principles involved, how you overcome any barriers to learning and how you achieve a positive learning environment
- Planning and delivering effective sessions
- Assessing your learners and ensuring that the feedback process is effective
You will mainly work online using the Award materials on the college system and you will be in frequent contact with your tutor and your peers.
What makes this course special?
- You can choose the type of course delivery to suit your needs
- You do not have to be in a teaching role to join and complete the course
- Taking the Award does not commit you to gaining a full teaching qualification
- You will be taught by experienced teacher-trainers
- Our teacher training courses consistently receive extremely positive feedback from students and External Verifiers
- Teaching at Bridgwater and Taunton College has consistently been rated as outstanding; where better to learn the basics of the teaching process?
As there are no pre-requisites or formal entry requirements for this course, you can enrol now. Please note, some courses have a limited number of spaces, so please enrol at the earliest opportunity.
What are the assessment methods?
- A series of tasks throughout the course. Written and collaborative activities directly related to your own context
- A practical assessment (micro-teach) at the end of the course
How long is the course?
The course runs over seven weeks.
What are the College attendance requirements?
From your start date you will be able to access online materials, roughly ten days later you will need to attend College for a three hour session and again at the end of your seven week course. Full course dates/times will be sent to you upon receipt of enrolment.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Your place on the course will be reserved upon receipt of payment. If an employer is sponsoring the learner to do this course please contact us to complete a manual enrolment, otherwise click on the ‘Enrol Online’ button.
What are the progression options?
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification is a useful qualification in its own right but it you may decide to go on to the Certificate or Diploma course. We can advise you on the best route.
We use Pearson Edexcel as the Awarding Organisation for our course. For more information on Pearson Edexcel, please refer to their website at www.edexcel.com.
If you have any further queries please email Teacher Training Administration at TeacherTraining@bridgwater.ac.uk or alternatively telephone 01278 441358.