Who is the course for?
The greenkeeping and golf industry provides the perfect opportunity to work in a wide range of environmentalsituations with links, parkland and heathland golf courses throughout the UK. Diplomas help in the training of people who are able to undertake a range of responsibilities from craft level operations through to supervisory roles. College training is carried out at our Cannington Centre and makes full use of the College’s excellent sports turf resources. This programme is designed for anyone who has a keen interest in the greenkeeping and golf industry and prefers combining her/his practical abilities with the development of knowledge and understanding of greenkeeping activities. You should already have a Level 2 qualification or equivalent in Golf Greenkeeping and be employed within the industry.
What does the course involve?
You will cover the following subject areas:
- Health,Safety and Security in the Workplace
- Estimating Resource Requirements
- Managing Resources
- Set up/Mark out Landscape Sites to establish grassed and planted areas
- Evaluate ground and environmental conditions to establish grassed and planted areas
- Prepare Sites for soft landscape establishment
- Establish grass swards
- Pan the maintenance, repair and renovation of sports turf areas
- Plan and set out sports areas
- Maintain Drainage Systems
- Maintain Irrigation Systems
- Maintain Equipment and Machinery
- Manage Information for Action
You will attend College for approx 12 days over a two year period.
What makes this course special?
As a Bridgwater College Apprentice, you will have access to the full range of support and facilities available to full time students including:
- A high quality commercial golf course
- Excellent IT facilities: one of the most sophisticated RM computer networks in the country
- A lively and stimulating environment in which to make new friends to help you through your first year of work
- Access to a large modern learning resources centre
- Tutorial support and guidance
- Access to a wide variety of extra curricular activities
You should have completed your Level 2 Diploma (NVQ) in Golf Greenkeeping and be employed within the industry.
What are the assessment methods?
There are no exams with Diplomas. You are assessed on your knowledge and skills on an ongoing basis and will obtain evidence that you can meet the required standards throughout your training. You will be appointed an Assessor who will visit you in your workplace and assess your progress on a regular basis.
How long is the course?
The Level 3 Diploma ends when you have completed all of the necessary components of the course, this is typically about two years.
What are the progression options?
Apprentices can progress to higher level employment within the industry or progress to Level 4 and 5. Some Advanced apprentices go on study for a Foundation Degree in Landscape Design at the Cannington Centre for Land Based Studies.
Start Date Notice
Thank you for taking an interest in this course. If there are no Course Details displayed above it is because the course has completed for this academic year.
Our updated course listing for 2016/2017 should be available at the beginning of June, when you will be able to see the upcoming start dates and be able to apply/enrol.