Who is the course for?
A refresher or introduction to machine shop practice; health and safety, milling, turning, grinding and hand fitting skills. Learn how to operate a lathe and milling machine safely, understand feed and speed rates for different materials, tools and types of cut. Sharpen tools and machine surfaces to tolerance.
What does the course involve?
- Health and safety in the work shop – safe operation of machine
- Introduction to assembly and inspection
- Induction on vertical milling machine–checking and operation – milling to finishing cuts, drilling and pockets
- Milling to produce finished components to drawings and tolerances
- Induction on centre lathe machine – checking and setting up a lathe for a simple turning operation: Manufacture to tolerance and tool inspection and sharpening
- Induction on pillar drills- including drilling, reaming and thread cutting
- Turning to produce finished components
What makes this course special?
The training will be led by experienced engineering staff who will deliver bespoke training in industry-standard, state-of-the art facilities that include two manufacturing workshops.
Basic knowledge of machining-milling and turning.
How long is the course?
On successful completion learners will gain a Bridgwater College Certificate in machining-milling and turning.