Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for florists currently qualified to a Level 4 Higher Diploma in Floristry who are seeking progression to Level 5 in Professional Floristry. It is designed to provide opportunities for candidates to develop their design schema creative skills, the latest techniques and theoretical understanding and enable business development and employment opportunities.
What does the course involve?
You will complete 10 core units that include; Botanical concepts & practices, Historical studies for floristry, Event Décor, Business Management, Marketing and Promotion, Advanced Design Concepts & Technical Floristry Skills including the latest Trend Designs.
You will develop major key skills in communication, information and business acumen. In addition you will have opportunities to develop skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance levels in your working life and future career progression.
What makes this course special?
- Expert tuition from a highly qualified and experienced team
- A unique and flexible course timetable held over the weekend once a month
- Interesting field visits/study tours
- Modules are taught via; demonstrations, lectures, tutorials and practical workshops.
- Applicants should hold a Level 4 Floristry qualification and be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of industry skill levels.
- Candidates will be required to supply their own floral materials and suitable range of tools and equipment.
What are the assessment methods?
There are three integrated theory assignments and externally assessed written and practical exams.
What are the College attendance requirements?
From March 2018 (approximately 1/2 weekends per month for a 12 month period).
Are there any additional costs for the course?
- Course materials costs estimated up to £800 depending on your chosen supplier.
- Apron and full cover shoes.
- Residential trips from £350 (optional not compulsory).
- Field trips variable costs (optional not compulsory).
- Material costs for mock/actual practical exams at the end of the course.
Student Support funding and various Bursaries may be available following successful application, apply early to avoid disappointment. Fees; see the 24+ Adult Learning Loans information.
What are the progression options?
After successful completion of the course students may use professional letters after their name and hold a City & Guilds full Level 5 Master Diploma of Professional Floristry.
Students can enter the retail industry as senior staff or manager, start their own business or specialise in allied professions such as teaching, international/national competition judge, buying, corporate services and event management.
- WorldSkillsUk National Floristry Competition Heats
- Chelsea Flower Show
- British Floristry Association
- City and Guilds