Who is the course for?
This course is offered to all students, aged 19 and over, who do not speak English as their first language.
What does the course involve?
Students will study English grammar, conversation, reading and/or writing and can achieve a qualification in any of the following:
- Reading - AEG500B/PM1A
- Writing - AEG500B/PM1B
- Speaking and Listening - AEG500B/PM1C
- Certificate - AEG500T/PM1
What makes this course special?
- Students will receive excellent teaching and support from outstanding staff
- A variety of exciting resources to use
- Enrolment can be at various times throughout the year
- The pass rates are excellent, above national average
- Achievement can open new opportunities
- The course is offered at five different levels – so there is something for everybody
- Students will be supported to achieve more than they thought they could
- There may be an opportunity to study maths
- Feedback from current students tells us they are enjoying the lessons; their confidence is growing; their improved English skills help at work and the qualification will help with their future life in England
There are no formal qualifications required for entry; students will undergo an informal interview, and possibly an initial assessment, to determine which level of the course is the right level for them.
For their first visit to College they will need to bring their passport or Home Office documents/visas.
What are the assessment methods?
The ESOL exam will be in three parts (Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing) at the end of the programme.
There may be an opportunity to take a national qualification in maths.
How long is the course?
The course is sixty teaching hours.
What are the College attendance requirements?
- Various, depending on the chosen programme
- In addition, self-study hours are highly recommended to reinforce learning
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Students will need to bring:
- Bilingual dictionary (not electronic)
- Course folder
- Paper and pencils
- The tutor may recommend to purchase a workbook to further studies at home
What are the progression options?
On completion of the course at Level 2, students can progress to either:
Successful completion of this course will open new opportunities, for example:
- Increased confidence in everyday situations
- The reward of being able to help children with English homework
- Job prospects
- Further education