Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater Centre
Who is the course for?
This new and exciting programme will enable you to study and develop knowledge and skills relevant to the Outdoor Adventure industry, incorporating land and water based practical activity and theory.
You will gain invaluable experience during the course enabling you to become a confident and efficient leader in a range of outdoor and adventurous activities such as kayaking, mountain biking, climbing, high ropes, expeditions and team building. You will benefit from practical sessions delivered by specialist Outdoor Education professionals who are keen to pass on their expertise to prepare you for a stimulating and rewarding career in outdoor and adventurous education.
What does the course involve?
You will study a mix of theoretical and practical subjects relating to outdoor and adventurous education, its industry and its challenges and opportunities.
This BTEC Diploma in Outdoor Adventure Leadership is divided into units of study that are taught over two years. To achieve the full Diploma, you must satisfactorily complete a total of 13 units, seven of which are core.
The course is designed to enable students to develop their practical skills and understanding of outdoor and adventurous activities in order to subsequently enable them to become efficient leaders within these activities and their professional settings.
- Principles of Anatomy
- Principles and Practices in Outdoor Adventure
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Physiology of Fitness
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Equipment and Facilities for Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Assessing Risk in Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Leadership in Sport and Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Leading Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Alternative Pursuit for Outdoor Adventure
- Leading Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
A range of additional qualifications will take place over this two year programme and will be part of your assessment:
- First Aid (Outdoor Activities Specific)
- National Governing Body awards such as:
- British Canoeing paddle–sport awards
- Navigation Awards from the National Navigation Award Scheme
- Hill and Mountain skills
Importantly the programme will prepare you with pre-requites to undertake National Governing Body instructor or leader courses.
What makes this course special?
Outdoor and adventurous activities focus
Throughout your two years at College, you will be involved in a range of outdoor and adventurous activities using outstanding facilities and specialist staff who work within the industry.
The programme is designed to prepare you for the industry with relevant underpinning knowledge and NGB qualifications. Suitable candidates will have the opportunity to qualify as Instructors in several activities preparing them for employment or Higher Education.
The course is designed in such a way that you will develop and reinforce your personal practical skills and take part in multi–day outdoor adventure expeditions in National Parks in England and Wales.
As part of your programme of study you will undertake work experience to reinforce your practical, communication and leadership skills and enable you to develop a network of contacts within the industry.
- At least five GCSEs grades A* - C or 9 - 4, with English and Science preferred
- Or a Merit profile in a relevant Level 2 qualification
What are the assessment methods?
Assessments are continuous throughout the course and are achieved via a variety of assessment methods - coursework, written reports, delivery of practical sessions, practical performance, observations, group work, presentations, etc.
Your work will be graded distinction, merit or pass.
How long is the course?
What are the progression options?
This programme is equivalent to two A Levels and will prepare students for either:
- Employment within the Outdoor Activity industry
- Higher Education: Foundation Degrees or Honours Degrees