Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who wishes to become a Sales/Service Support Assistant / Slaughter Operative / Butcher or Meat and Poultry Operative.
This course is ideal for those who are already working in this industry sector or those looking to enter employment within the industry. You will require an employer which we can help you find where you will work 5 days a week. The course has a strong practical focus supported by key theoretical aspects. If you are looking for a practical skills based career, with a good starting salary and progression opportunities then this course is ideal.
What does the course involve?
Whilst at work you will receive comprehensive practical training, that will enable you to carry out the jobs required by your employer, and achieve the Diploma in Meat and Poultry. You will be visited at the workplace by a Work Based Assessor, to check on your progress, and to ensure that you are building evidence towards your final qualification.
- Units covered include Primary and Secondary Processing / Common Operations / Meat Industry Knowledge
- Specific topics include, Sourcing, buying, storing and cleaning preparation areas.
- Practical Preparation, boning, slicing, trimming, curing meat, chilling, freezing, weights and measures
- Functional Skills - Maths and English
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
What makes this course special?
As a Bridgwater College apprentice, you will have tutorial support and guidance as well as individual support from your Trainer/Assessor. Other benefits include:
- Earn as you Learn, get paid to train and gain a recognised qualification
- Good starting salary with opportunity for quick progression
- Brand new apprenticeship due to industry demand
- Excellent training facilities within the work place
- Relevant staff experience
- Employment opportunity in an industry leading company
We have several employers looking for butchery apprentices in the surrounding Bridgwater area.
- GCSEs in the A* - E or 9 - 3 range – GCSE A* - C or 9 - 4 in English and Maths are an advantage.
- Complete initial assessment at college.
What are the assessment methods?
- Assessment of Learning in the Workplace by a Work Based Assessor and your employer.
- Tests and Assignments.
How long is the course?
12 – 18 months.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Personal Protective Clothing which will be provided by the Employer.
What are the progression options?
- Level 3 Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Food and Drink – Meat and Poultry
- Level 3 Food Technology and Management
FDQ – Food and Drink Qualifications.