Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater campus
Who is the course for?
The A Level in Sport & Physical Education is particularly suitable for students who wish to progress to onto Higher Education and study subject areas such as; coach education, sport science, health and fitness and teaching Physical Education. It is also suited to students who wish to work in the sports or health and fitness professions. It can also be valuable for those students interested sport and wish to study the world of health and fitness and the impact of physical education on the world around them at an advanced level.
What does the course involve?
A Level Physical Education builds on students' experience from Key Stage 4 and GCSE to enhance their knowledge and increase their understanding of the factors that affect performance and participation in Physical Education.
This specification gives students the opportunity to experience and develop an interest in a variety of roles in sport, such as performer, official or coach.
- Contemporary topics in sport, such as the impact in the use of ergogenic aids, technology and the increasing commercialisation of sport
- Applying sports physiology
- Nutrition in sport
- Skill acquisition
- Psychological aspects that optimise sports performance
- Participation in sport and analysing sports performance
What makes this course special?
- The majority of our students are successful in progressing to Higher Education, often reading sport related degrees
- As part of your study programme the A Level Sport & Physical Education can enable you direct entry onto a Foundation Degree in Sport Science and Coach Education that is validated by Oxford Brooks University at University Centre Somerset
- Lessons are held in specialist sports facilities
- Opportunities to attend conferences and study trips
- Opportunities to represent Team BTC sports squads and participate in BTC Active
Students will also learn highly valued transferable skills including:
- Problem solving, research and analysis
- Teamwork, data collection and presentation and clear communication skills
- An awareness of health and safety issues
Team BTC sport scholarships are available to students and an application form can be completed by visiting the Bridgwater & Taunton College website via www.bridgwater.ac.uk and clicking on the ‘Academies’ tab and choosing Team BTC Performance
Minimum of five GCSEs A* to C or 9 to 5 is recommended for A Level study, including Maths and English.
Sport & Physical Education GCSE grade C or 4 and above, or BTEC Sport Award, Certificate or Diploma at a Merit profile or above.
- Be able to perform and/or officiate/coach successfully in two sports.
What are the assessment methods?
- Written examination
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
How long is the course?
Six hours of tuition per week. Students are also expected to complete a significant amount of self-study.
Are there any additional costs for the course?
You will be expected to buy a course sports top for practical performance, in accordance with our sports policy, which can be sourced through the College online store. We will also suggest an appropriate textbook for you to acquire.
What are the progression options?
The majority of the Sport & Physical education students progress to sport science, coaching or physical education courses. In the past students leaving this course have, for example, taken degrees in Medicine, Veterinary Science, Marine Biology and biochemistry.