Where is the course delivered?
- Bridgwater campus
Who is the course for?
Design and Technology holds many fantastic and exciting opportunities, if you aspire to design the next generation of Smart Phones, robots or manufacturing components for fighter jets or developing sustainable energy then this is the course for you. A Level Design and Technology helps students take a broad view of design and technology, develop their capacity to appreciate engineering design, production of products and appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing. This A Level can be taken in combination with other A Levels and the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
What does the course involve?
Units and skills studied include:
- Materials, components and application
- Learning through designing and making
- Design and manufacture
- Design and making practice
What makes this course special?
- Fully stocked and dedicated state of the art facilities.
- Equipment includes with the latest Robotic Technology, Computer Aided Design, 3D Modelling, 3D Printers, CAM, CNC, Materials Lab, Pneumatic/Hydraulics, Programmable Logic Control, Electronics and Process Control Technology.
- This course allows students to sample the various aspects of Engineering Technology.
- Students have the opportunity to attend residentials and educational day trips.
- Minimum of five GCSEs A* to C or 9 to 5 is recommended for A Level study, including Maths and English
- At least one B grade in an essay style subject
- Previous study of Design and Technology or Engineering would be an advantage, but it is not essential
What are the assessment methods?
- Practical project
How long is the course?
What are the College attendance requirements?You will receive six hours of tuition per week. Students are also expected to complete a significant amount of self-study.
What are the progression options?
- Internal progression to our FdSc Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced Engineering or Design & Technology related Apprenticeship
- Higher Engineering or Design & Technology related Apprenticeship