Preparing for interview
You will be invited to an interview following your application. The interview and a presentation about your subject will give you more information and ensure you are considering the right course for your future.
Preparing for the Bridgwater & Taunton College Interview
Your application form will have given us some background information about you.
Your interview will give you an opportunity to talk in more detail and depth about yourself, interests and ambitions. You will also be able to find out more about the College and the course/s in which you are interested.
Getting to know you better during the interview means that we are able to make sure you are offered a place on the right course for you.
What will your interview involve?
Before the interview there will be a group presentation for approximately 30 minutes, which will provide details about the College and the courses available. You will then be given an individual interview for approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
Your parent/carer/friend is welcome to attend the group presentation and individual interview but we may want to spend some of the interview time with you on your own. If you have applied for more than one course, you will have an opportunity to be interviewed for the alternative or additional course.
What should I wear?
We would normally expect you to be in school uniform or smartly dressed in your own clothes.
What should I bring with me?
One or more of the following, if you have them:
- The letter inviting you to interview
- Record of Achievement (ROA) or Progress File
- Personal Careers Action Plan (PCAP)
- Presentation Folder/Portfolio
Please note: If you aren’t able to bring any of these with you, please be prepared to talk about them at interview.
What will I be asked about?
- Your reasons for applying to College
- What interests you about the course/s you have applied for
- What you have enjoyed about school, what went well and what didn’t go so well
- Extra-curricular activities, post/s of responsibility, hobbies, interests, part-time jobs, clubs and societies you belong to etc
- Work experience
- How you did in your mock exams
What will the interviewer be looking for?
- An interest in the course for which you are applying
- A positive attitude which indicates that you will be a committed student
- Motivation to work hard
- That you have chosen a course appropriate for your career plans
What will happen after your interview?
Your offer of a place will be subject to you achieving or holding the required entry qualifications as listed in the prospectus and in your offer letter which we will send you within 10 working days of your interview.
After you have been offered a place, we will expect you to continue to work hard and, if relevant, attend school/college regularly and punctually and complete all your coursework as applicable.
Please note: If you haven’t yet had your individual interview with your careers adviser, don’t worry. It won’t affect the outcome of your interview at Bridgwater & Taunton College. If you bring a portfolio/examples of your work with you, please make sure you don’t bring any GCSE coursework which your school requires for assessment purposes.