Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a list of some commonly asked questions related to our accommodation. Follow the links to see the answer to the question. If you have a question that is not listed below please contact us at or call 01278 441234.

What do I need to bring?

You will need to bring your own duvet and pillows. The College will provide you with bed linen which is changed once a week. An alarm clock is always a good idea!

You are able to bring electrical appliances with you but you will already have a fridge and lamp in your room. Any electrical appliances you bring will need to be PAT tested. The College provides this service and a cost of £10 is paid as part of your deposit payment. This is non-refundable.

Please note: You are NOT allowed any type of electrical heater, toaster, sandwich toaster or microwave in your room.

Do the rooms have TVs and internet access?

All bedrooms and common room areas have Wi-fi access free of charge. There are TV and internet points in each room. Each common room is provided with a TV; the College pays for this licence but you will be required to obtain a TV licence if you wish to have a TV in your room.

Can I share with friends?

All of our rooms are currently single occupancy for students applying for accommodation from the start of the academic year. We have limited shared rooms that we use for non-residential students who are on farm duties and for some of our French students who stay in accommodation. This option is not currently available for applicants at the start of the year.

What happens about leaving my belongings over holidays?

Students pay for the academic term so are required to clear their rooms at the end of each term and half term period, unless advised otherwise. For HE students, their accommodation costs include the half term/reading weeks and they can remain in residence over the half term holidays (this does not include Christmas and Easter holidays). HE Students must inform the Student Liaison Team if they wish to remain during the half term for fire regulations.

Where can I do my washing?

There are washing machine facilities on-site for students. There is a small charge for the washing machines and tumble dryers. Students will also need to provide their own washing powder. There are local launderettes available for students to use if they do not wish to use our facilities.

What happens if I am ill?

Students should inform a member of the Student Liaison Team if they are ill. This will mean that regular checks can be made throughout the day by College staff. We will also make appointments for students at Cannington Medical Centre if required and let tutors know. The College site is staffed 24 hours a day so there is always someone available to help if there is a problem.

Can I bring my car with me?

You are able to leave your car in the designated College car parks; however you need to ensure that your car is registered with the Student Liaison Team.

I am based at Bath Road during the day, how will I get there?

Cannington has good transport links with local buses running regularly to and from Bridgwater and the College's Bath Road site. Students will need to purchase a bus pass or pay daily. Many of our students are able to drive and we often find that students lift share with each other.

How secure are the lodges?

Security is a priority for us; each lodge has individual fob access so only residents of that lodge can enter it. The fob access is linked to a computer so we have a record of students’ comings and goings. Each student has a key to their room. All the lodges are covered by CCTV. Emergency phones are placed in each U18 lodge which links directly to the Student Liaison Team duty mobile and 999 in case of emergency.

Can I bring pets?

Unfortunately we do not allow pets in our lodges or halls of residence.

Can I have guests to stay?

Students under the age of 18 are not able to have guests to stay, but over 18s are able to do so at weekends only (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon). If friends or family intend to visit you, there are lots of bed and breakfast houses and hotels in the local area where they are able to stay.

Will my belongings be insured?

The College does not provide any insurance cover for your personal possessions, so you will need to organise contents insurance yourself.

Is accommodation guaranteed?

Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee anyone a place in our accommodation. If we become oversubscribed, priority is give to students applying to study Land-based or specialist courses and those who live outside a radius of 15 miles of the Centre.

Is single sex accommodation available?

All of our accommodation is mixed sex. All of our rooms have individual locks and all students under the age of 18 will live in en-suite rooms where privacy can be maintained.

Can I smoke in my room?

No, smoking in rooms is forbidden. Bridgwater College implements a no smoking policy at all of its Centres, however if students wish to smoke, there are designated smoking areas throughout the College premises. Smoking in public areas is illegal and if students do not adhere to these rules, the College will take this very seriously.